Thursday, June 12, 2008

I had a great weekend in Gettysburg. It both felt like a really long weekend and a super short weekend. When I got back, I felt like I must have taken a day of vacation or something. I definitely had not -- the really short part of the weekend was due to the fact that I was away from home from 8 am on Friday morning until 6:30 pm on Sunday night!

So what was I doing this past weekend? Discerning! A big fancy word, but I am trying to figure out where God is calling me. I have over the past ten years felt like I should consider...public ministry. Yes, it's scary and overwhelming and totally not the right time to be considering another four years of school*. I just got married and am doing well at my job. There really isn't a local seminary (Gettysburg!), so we would more than likely have to move for me to do this. Regardless, I do feel like there must be something there.

So my big plan is to discern for the summer and then figure out what to do. I learned some suggested techniques for discerning a call and the process of what to do after a call has been discerned. The process is pretty daunting -- candidacy and applying to seminary. So we'll see where it goes. I'm actually pretty excited about the process (not to mention the possibility of getting another master's degree, woot!), and I want to come to the right conclusion and not just rush into planning it out as I often tend to do. It's both overwhelming and awesome to consider this as something that I could maybe be called to do. I know it will all work out for the best in the end!

*Technically it is just three years of school and a year of internship, but still! Four years of stuff!

No comments: