Thursday, April 21, 2005

Despite the fact that I had Monday off, this week has been totally stressful. Initially, I couldn't really figure out why, but I think it boils down to two things -- one, I have to put together a presentation on writing a resume for May 16 and I don't have a lot of it done so far. (This is something I can't just fake at the last moment, unfortunately.) And two, the library I work at is redoing its website (or as the current standard would have me write, Web site....which I think is just freakin' ugly!!!!) and I'm on the redesign committee. Yeah, we've been meeting since last summer and not much has been done. And I feel like a heck of a lot of what has been done has either been from me or one of the web designers. It's frustrating because I keep looking at it and thinking, we need to rethink how we do things. We can't just keep say "But that's the way it's always been done." And I don't think most of the people want to hear that. So, yeah, the stress has been manifesting itself in me through sore shoulders and neck. I've never had that problem before, but I guess it's better than waking up early in the morning. Oh wait, that's started to happen again. Oy. I need to have more non-work problems in my life so I can have something normal to worry about.

Well, enough of that crap. I'm only online tonight because I needed to find directions to the place where the workshop I am going to is being held tomorrow. I get to go to OCLC Capcon for a "Writing for the Web." (I think I mentioned this before, but perhaps it will be useful in my blog. Rockin' Multipurpose work stuff!! Although, I believe blogs are supposed to be informal and don't need a stupid class to be written.)

Anyway, I'm reading an awesome book, Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Defined a Generation. It's all about The Simpsons and is seriously very interesting, mostly because it examines it from a cultural perspective and how subversive it was -- and still is. The Simpsons, when you think about it, has really infiltrated the culture of America (and in some ways really serves as a definition of America, especially in the character of Homer) and it isn't inconceivable that in the future, it will be looked at as an example of a critical lens for the 1990s and 2000s. I just remember that when The Simpsons first started, back in 1990-ish, my mother wouldn't let us watch it -- too sarcastic! And now it's something that I can watch every night in syndication. Of course, I'm fifteen years older now, but still -- it's somehow fascinating that it has lasted and broken the conventions of what life was like in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Well, enough cultural examination. I have to get up early to catch the MARC train to D.C.

No comments: