Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The budget is done! The budget is done!

And now this week I get to write an annual plan. I'm not sure if there's a deadline for it, but my boss told me that I should write one. And since I got everything together for the budget, it seems as though writing the plan should be easy...but I've been kind of putting it off. And yesterday I had to do all the email reference questions, so I was busy. Yeah, right.

I read two more books for the 50 books in a year challenge. Number 11 was Empires of Light: Edison, Telsa, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World by Jill Jonnes. It's a non-fiction book all about inventing electricity that could go in the home and light lightbulbs. Normally I wouldn't read something like that, but Jonnes is actually speaking at the library on Wednesday and her flyer looked pretty interesting, so I checked out the book (which is in my department) and read it. The book was good and definitely more entertaining than I would assume a non-fiction book on electricity could be. But perhaps I liked it mostly because history is fun.

Number 12 was The Librarian by Larry Beinhart, who is the guy who wrote the book that the movie Wag the Dog is based on. (Yes, I know, I am a total sucker for books that involve my profession.) However, this was a really fun book. It's totally a fictionalized retelling of the Bush re-election, but cast in a different and more menancing light. There is a librarian who gets involved with helping this older magnate organized his librarian and thereby get caught up in a plot to steal the election for the Bush-esque character from the Vietnam nurse candidate. It was a really fast read and very entertaining, mostly because I do follow politics. It might make a fun movie someday!

So enough of books. My roommate and I are going to NYC next week Wednesday through Friday. I just bought our Greyhound tickets to go home this morning. We're trying to come up with a game plan for what to do besides go to a show on Broadway. (It'll be my first!) So, if you have somewhere in NYC that I cannot not go to, please use the comments below.

You know what I saw in Target on Sunday? A Peeps beanie animal. The chick wasn't so cute, but the little bunny shaped one was adorable. I love Peeps and am very glad that they make them for more than just Easter now. Mmmmm. Sugar-covered marshmallow. Yummy.

No comments: