Tuesday, February 01, 2005

H-okay, so...

I started the new job on Monday. It was awkward, as new jobs tend to be, but I feel like the fact that I knew most of the people before I started will help things a bit. I also didn't have a whole heck of a lot to do yesterday morning, before my new boss came in at eleven, but I managed to look through all the crap on my new desk.

And today my new boss was actually in at nine. I felt kind of bad because I'm not really a lot of help right now. So he had a lot of hours on the desk and on the phones. But I managed to answer a few calls and even took the phones all by myself for a half an hour. And I even got a question that I knew I wouldn't be able to answer (something about the top countries that imported US tires) right away. And it turned out that it was a bit of stumper for everyone. And my ex-cubiclemate was the one who gave me the best lead -- I mentioned it when I was over in the old department dropping off the box that I borrowed -- to check the Department of Commerce. And they had a lovely searchable database for US Exports! How exciting. Well, perhaps not, but I was happy because I was able to answer the question. Yay!

I still don't feel like I know my way around the department that well -- what's where is not quite clear to me, but I think that will come with time. It doesn't help that there are a lot of places things could be (reference, open stacks, back stacks, mezzanie stacks, job center, business center, red-dot circulating, and red-dot ref). It's kind of insane, really. I guess the one lesson that I need to learn is to look more carefully at the catalog records than I would have in the old department.

So, yeah. It's going pretty well. I have also found out that a lot of people didn't even know that I had gotten the promotion and are a little confused by the fact that I'm in the new department and not my old one. It's kind of funny in a way.

No comments: