Thursday, January 13, 2005

My inner neurotic is coming out today. And yes, it's related to the new job. (Of course...do I complain about anything else?) I've had quite a few people congratulate me on the new job and say something about how it is well deserved (something with the same meaning, if not those exact words) and how happy they are for me and stuff. And I just can't silence the inner critic who is all like, dude, seriously? I've only been here for a year and already I deserve stuff?

Anyway, I will try to leave the fun that is a new position behind. Although I really like Future Boss. I've had some meetings with him over the past week, and he's actually quite fun to talk to. I knew that already -- he's come to most of the parties that my roommate and I have had and I'd been to his old house and whatnot, but he seems like a good person to talk to, just one on one. Which I hadn't necessarily expected, because sometimes he can be very quiet and serious. Although I think I might come across like that myself sometimes...although that impression is probably quickly dispelled.

My sister Jenny is here now and we're leaving for Amish country tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to our road trip out to Philadelphia. I think it will be a good time. Plus we will hopefully get to try Philly cheesesteaks! And Sunday is the big birthday party with games and cake. I'm stopping at the party store tonight to pick up some plates, napkins, cups, and decorations. And my roommate is picking up the cake, some snacks, and some Schmirnoff Cranberry Twisted malt beverages. I really like them. Tasty!

I found this really awesome recipe online at the New York Times (though it's no longer available online for free; I got it through our database). It's for "Shirley's Tunnel-of-Fudge Cake," which sounds incredibly decadent and delicious. I like chocolate and I like fudge, so I can't imagine that a cake with a center of gooey fudge in the middle wouldn't be delicious. I just have to get a bundt pan, natural cocoa powder, and some dark brown sugar and then I'll be able to try it out!

I also got this really fun book from the library today, and I actually think that I'm going to read the whole thing. It's called The Whole Equation: A History of Hollywood and appears to be a very interesting (and somewhat meandering) history of Hollywood. It's quite thick, so I'll be at it for a while, but any book that starts out with a quote from Van Johnson (from The Purple Rose of Cairo) and is titled after something F. Scott Fitzgerald said in The Love of the Last Tycoon has to be great.

No comments: