Thursday, December 23, 2004

Snap!

I totally forgot that I wanted to do this, which I got from Gwen's Petty, judgmental, Evil Thoughts (which she got via
"What if no one's watching?")

This is the End-of-Year Meme.


1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I drove up to Buffalo and saw Niagara Falls. I also tried (unsuccessfully) online dating.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I think last year's resolution was to lose weight. I did keep it, and I'll probably have the same resolution this year. January/February/March is a good time to diet. The rest of the year...eh, not so much.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada and America!

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
More stuff to do at work, which looks like it will happen. I am happier when I am busier.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Etched in memory? Well, probably Dec. 17 'cuz of the new job stuff. I'm not sure anything else was too memorable. Oh! Kelly's wedding. I might not remember the date, but I know it will always be around Thanksgiving.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
New job -- and that my other assistant manager interview went really well.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Failure...I should have something...probably freaking out after my car accident. I need to learn to be more calm. Thank god Wisconsin Library was there -- without her, I would have freaked.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No -- I still have managed to get to the doctor yet in Maryland.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My knee high boots from Wal-Mart. They rock.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Kelly and Durand for getting married.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
After the voting...I just get sad about people who vote for Bush and sad about people who are unable to understand other people's perspectives -- I was disappointed with people on both sides of the blue-red divide.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and student loans, probably. Plus the car.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Let's say it all together -- getting the new job! Plus Kelly's wedding. And traveling a lot over the summer -- Buffalo, Boston/Worcester, and back home.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Hmmm...maybe that song by Franz Ferdinand. Or else Modest Mouse. I just can't remember the titles right now.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, surprisingly.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Hanging out with people. Real work at work. Appreciating what I have. Blogging.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinating.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family in Wisconsin. There will be snow and a puppy and I will be very happy.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
No.

22. How many one-night stands?
Zero.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Hmmm...I have to say that 2004 will be summed up by my irrational love for The Apprentice. The first season just made me so happy. The second season...eh, no so much. But I still watched it religiously!

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think so. I don't think that I really hate anyone. It just wastes too much energy.

25. What was the best book you read?
I was going to say The Time Traveler's Wife, but I read that in 2003. The book that I did really enjoy (although whether it was the "best book" this year is debatable) was Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife. I am also really enjoying re-reading the Trixie Belden books. They totally rock.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, and Keane. I know, I'm so indie.

27. What did you want and get?
More responsibility at work. (Well, I got the promise of it!) Cheaper place to live. A kitty I don't have to care for as much. Really awesome friends here. Cable.

28. What did you want and not get?
A date. A puppy.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Because I have been totally digging the soundtrack, I'm going to say Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. It was very, very entertaining and I'm going to buy it next Tuesday. Maybe.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went shopping with Wisconsin Librarian and my roommate (who was not my roommate at the time). We got pizza and played Trivial Pursuit, which I won at. It was fun and I turned 24.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Probably being closer in proximity to family. Especially when I wasn't happy.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Red tops, black skirt/pants. Tailored silhouettes. Lots of black. High heels became comfortable, oddly enough.

33. What kept you sane?
Old movies and having someone to talk to. The blog sometimes. Long distance phone calls.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Van Johnson. But not in a "fancy" type way -- seriously, I became like really interested in him this year. (See the other blog for more info.) I found him intriguing because he isn't intriguing, yet he was the idol of bobby-soxers in the 1940s and 50s. It makes him interesting.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Bush v. Kerry.

36. Who did you miss?
My sister, my mom, my dad, and my puppy. I have only been home three times since moving out here, and there are times when I just want to see them.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
My roommate. I knew her before 2004, but since moving in with her, I've become much better friends with her. I wasn't sure about living with someone, but practicality with money won out. And instead I have an awesome person to talk to and share with. It worked out really great, and she's a really close friend now.

Running a close second is all my church buddies, and especially California Girl. They make church a fun place to go to now -- I can get spiritual and social together. It's awesome.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
Volunteer for things and keep trying. Eventually something will happen.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I can't think of anything, but this is fun: "
It sure is mellow grazin' in the grass (Grazin' in the grass is a gas, baby, can you dig it) What a trip just watchin' as the world goes past."

Have a super end of the year, and I promise I won't write anything more today!!!

No comments: