Thursday, June 17, 2004

I got some news at work today.

I'm not real sure if it's good or bad news, so right now I'm just classifying it as news. The library is changing its hours -- Monday through Wednesday, starting July 1, we will be open from 11 am - 7 pm instead of 10 am - 8 pm. What does this mean for me? Basically, I am now going to have to work 11-7 two days a week. I get to work 9-5 one day a week. And Thursday through Saturday it'll be the same old 9-5 stuff.

I don't know what I think of this development. Initially, I was thinking, I need to find another job. And while I am working on that, is working eleven to seven really that bad? I'll get to miss rush hour. I probably won't get home that much later than if I was working nine to five. And I can do errands and whatnot in the morning. Plus the bonus of being able to sleep in a lot longer. But on the other hand, I am concerned about my job. The budget for the city and the state isn't that great, and my job is obviously here until July 2005, what about next year? The library doesn't want to lay people off, but I'm kind of concerned about that... I guess I just need a little bit more time to process it and figure out what I should be doing. I'd like to talk to my mom about it, but she's off camping with dad until Saturday.

It's funny, I started reading Necessary Dreams this morning before going to work. It's all about women and ambition, and a very fascinating read. I haven't finished it yet, but if you are at all interested in women's issues, especially those related to women and careers, I think this would be an essential book to read. I had a lot of thoughts that I was going to talk about in relation to myself and some revelations that the book had prompted in me, but now my job has become center most in my thoughts, rather than my ambition towards my future career.

Oh well, today Jayne Miller of the WBAL Channel 11 is going to be in the Maryland Department filming. It should be entertaining, and apparently I should be on the desk (right now) when it is happening. Maybe I'll end up in a commercial! Wouldn't that be fun!

No comments: