Sunday, April 25, 2004

I've got a new challenge. This week I will try to come up with ten things each day that I like about Maryland, Baltimore, the library, etc. I've noticed that I tend to get down on Maryland/Baltimore -- perhaps it's a little of "the grass is greener..." -- and I'm going to put forth a positive attitude about where I am now. So, the top ten things I like about Maryland:

1. The mild winters. I haven't had the luxury of parking in a garage since I bought my car, and let me tell you, I enjoyed the winter here in Baltimore much more.
2. New greenery. New to me, that is. There seems to be lots of flowering trees all over, even near the library downtown.
3. Car registration. I registered my car pretty soon after I got here and I won't have to do it again until October 2005. That's two years, baby!
4.Crab cakes. I've only had them once, but they were darn good.
5. The sense of history. Things have been happening in Maryland since the 1600s!
6. Bawlmerese. Now, it can get kind of annoying when they drop the "t" in Baltimore, but being "hon"-ed makes up for that. I love being called "hon."
7. Diners. I've been to places that are kind of like dinners back home, but diners here are so much more fun! They're tacky, but you can always get a cup of coffee and breakfast. Yum!
8. The proximity of other fun things. Can you beat NYC being 3 1/2 hours away? So even if Maryland gets dull, I can get away quickly to other places.
9. Self-check out supermarkets. I had never seen them before, but it's actually kind of fun.
10. IKEA. There is no IKEA in Wisconsin. You cannot beat cheap Swedish furniture. And the Swedish coffee! Tasty.

No comments: