Sunday, September 18, 2005

It's been just about two years since I moved here. And I'm coming up on a year at living in my current apartment with two roommates -- the adorable kitty and Cupcake. And in some ways, it seems like just yesterday that I arrived here from Wisconsin, slightly terrified but ready to start working full-time as a librarian. And yet, I have a hard time remembering what it was like those first few months. I remember work being very boring and being tired all the time. But I try to remember what I did when I wasn't working and it's hard. I didn't start getting uber-involved with my church until Spring '04 when I joined handbell choir, and I didn't even really get involved with confirmation and young adult stuff until last fall. And now it's just such a part of my life...

But honestly, I can't believe it's been two years. Parts of my memories of grad school seem so far away. I used to be able to remember street names and directions and how to get around in Milwaukee, and it is becoming more faint. Plus things are changing there and I don't know about it...

I still think about moving back at some point. It's hard not to, but in some ways, I have more connections here than I do back in the midwest. Of course there is my family, but other than them, many of my college friends have moved else where or aren't really settled. And I have a good connection of friends here in Maryland... When I think of starting over again, probably in Chicago or maybe the Twin Cities, I think of how difficult it would be to find something similar to what I have here -- friends at work and friends at church. People I can do things with who are in similar life circumstances. And it might not be as hard as I think it might be. But then I think, what if this only happens once? What if this is where I am supposed to be? But I feel like you have to question something if it is easy -- I mean, should there really be more struggle? Or should I just be thankful that it has been easier than I expected?

So many questions and I won't ever get answers to them until I have to move on. And who knows? I might not move on for a long time, or circumstances will have changed or something. I will never be able to have the exact move that I made to Maryland again. And I guess I have to try to remember that.

No comments: