Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Well, enough of wishlists for now.

While I'm not writing or crocheting, I've been reading like mad. I just started Phillip Roth's The Plot Against America: A Novel. It's quite good, and I have to say that it is really interesting to read something from a Jewish perspective. I am a Christian, and so I don't generally think in terms of Jesus not being the Savior. And little Phillip (for Roth writes about himself at age eight when Charles Lindberg is elected president and not FDR and how the U.S. changes dramatically into an isolationist nation who signs pacts with Hitler and Tojo) is eight and slightly innocent about things. He's quite a nice guide. I had actually read quite a bit about this novel before I actually got it from the library, and I think it's pretty interesting. I'll write more once I finish it.

I've also been on a big Trixie Belden kick. I used to read those books when I was an elementary school student and I looooved them. My mom thought that I was too young to read Nancy Drew. (I think that she gave me one and then asked me questions about it which I couldn't answer because I had read it too fast. Ah, I was a little speed reader even back then.) Random House recently reissued the first nine books and I picked up two of them at Target when they were on clearance. I was planning to send them to my younger Alaska cousin to (hopefully!) get her hooked on one of my favorite series. And then I read them -- they're really quite entertaining still! So I've been bidding on a bunch of the books on Ebay -- I've already successfully purchased fifteen books so far. (Sadly, I have like four copies of The Red Trailer Mystery, and I think I even have one at home!)

I am really looking forward to taking a whole bunch of these with me back to Wisconsin over Thanksgiving to enjoy. Plus I'm going to go through my childhood books and see if I kept the Trixie Belden boosk I remember buying as a youngster. I'm pretty sure that I bought The Memorial Day Fire book, but whether or not I actually still have it is debatable!

Oh, and if you don't know who Trixie Belden is, shame on you! Nah, I'm just kidding. She's a girl sleuth, much like Nancy Drew but way cooler. Trixie is a tomboy who lives in New York state with her two older brothers Mart and Brian and her younger brother Bobby. Trixie is friends with Honey and her adopted brother Jim who live in the mansion near Trixie's home. They form a club called the Bob-Whites of the Glen (B.W.G. for short) and have a secret clubhouse. I always wished that I could be a part of the B.W.G., but I never learned how to do the Bob-White whistle.

No comments: