Friday, October 29, 2004

It has been one of the longest weeks ever!

And I really haven't had a day off in over two weeks. Technically, the retreat last weekend was during my days off, but chaperoning/leading a small group of middle schoolers is definitely not relaxing. It was fun, but work! I was going to try to get people to play trivia tonight, but I think I might just stay home and clean and unpack. Plus I just started reading Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues. It's quite entertaining -- although a bit romance novel-esque -- and I am really entertained by it. I always imagined that Darcy and Elizabeth would have a great marriage, and the novel is showing that they might have.

The other librarian who was supposed to be working today has called in sick again. I've been working the desk a lot more than I normally do lately, due to illnesses and whatnot. I really don't mind -- honestly, sometimes I don't have anything to do when I'm not on the desk! -- but my boss always seems very concerned that I get some time off the desk.

I'm going to be doing a lot of reading -- I just got a phone call from circ today saying that The Plot Against America was in for me. If you haven't heard about this book, it's Phillip Roth's envisioning of Charles Lindbergh winning the presidency against Roosevelt in 1940 and the changing of America in regards to World War II. Lindbergh wasn't the Minnesota flyer that we are all familiar with -- he was also an isolationist and a Nazi sympathizer. I have read a lot about The Plot Against America, and I think it should be an interesting read. I'm just a little worried that I won't be able to write a novel, attend a wedding, go home for a week before Thanksgiving, and read several novels all in November. But I'm going to try!

No comments: