Monday, August 02, 2004

When I was riding the elevator up to work today, I realized that I had the strangest song in my head. "Spooky Girlfriend" by Elvis Costello off of his 2001 album When I Was Cruel. It was a bizarre moment, but I was alone in the elevator so I got to sing a few bars.

And then, later today, still at work, I had another bizarre song in my head -- "The Man on the Flying Trapeze." And not any version of this song -- the one that the whole bus sings in It Happened One Night! My internal jukebox is definitely out in left field today, but at least it's entertaining.

Anyway, Shayna and I have decided to move to Courthouse Square. If you actually look at the link, we're hoping to get floorplan G -- two bedroom, one and a half bath, and family room. I get to give notice tomorrow, so I'm hoping everything works out. Best of all, with everything, I should be saving around $150-200 per month by having a roommate. So, yay!

In political news, I was talking to Dave, the youth director at the church I go to on Friday. He is a Republican, but managed to watch the DNC to get an idea of what Kerry is all about. However, he faults Kerry for saying "I don't wear my faith on my sleeve." So then today I found an article about Kerry and faith in Slate -- The Religification of John Kerry. I found it a very interesting story about how he is beginning to use faith in his campaign.

Now, I don't kid myself. I believe faith is a personal thing, and you don't necessarily need to wear it on your sleeve like George W. does. I do believe in the separation of church and state, but I do feel as though the President should have morals and values. But -- and this is a big but -- I feel as though Bush uses his faith as a campaigning tool. Some of the things he has done -- like heavily supporting faith-based initiatives at prisons have not worked as effectively as they could have -- if I'm recalling correctly. John Kerry is using his faith as a campaign strategy too, but hasn't George W. been doing the same thing all along?

Well, enough politics for one day. I have to come up with a response to Dave's email back, and I thought blogging about it might help me become more cohesive. Those darn Republicans!

No comments: