Friday, August 06, 2004

I was just reading a review of Collateral by Roger Ebert when this portion struck me:
When Max tells him the taxi job is "temporary" and talks about his business plans, Vincent finds out how long he's been driving a cab (12 years) and quotes John Lennon: "Life is what happens while you're making other plans."
I don't necessarily think that life is passing me by...BUT... Like I said before, I'm on this new librarian list-serv which has lately been discussing how they cannot get a job and how few job opportunities there are for people without professional experience. (They also discuss how they were "lied to" in library school, but that's another story for another day and involves librarians who apparently cannot do research on career outlooks for themselves.) And I definitely do not plan to stay at the public library here forever. Period. I didn't really want to work in a public library to begin with, and I am definitely hoping not to stay here for too long. So I've been thinking about what I should do -- should I apply for jobs elsewhere, go back to grad school, or what? And now that I'm moving in September, I have to stay here for around another year.

I don't know what to do and I just wish someone could tell me what I should be doing. But it's never that easy, and I have to figure these things out for myself. I should be happy, at least I'm young and unattached, so moving isn't terribly hard. I just wish I had more confidence in myself to be very serious about graduate school -- but it's hard when I have to pay back debt from the first go-round and it's mostly to help me as a librarian, not a professor. (Although, I have to say, I'd probably have an easier time finding a job as a librarian than as a professor in any field! Well, any field that I am qualified to go to grad school in.)

Well, enough existential whining. Kitty-sitting is going okay, although little Petra woke me up at quarter to six this morning wanting to play. I stayed in bed and played with her a little, but I just noticed this morning that I have some kitty scratches on my foot and ankle. Dumb cat! I can see why people want to get full-grown cats; they are much less work that a kitten. She has sooo much energy. It'll be interesting when I move in with her and Shayna, but at least I can keep my bedroom door shut to keep her from scratching my feet and waking me up insanely early.

No comments: