Thursday, July 29, 2004

Did anyone watch the convention last night? I enjoyed John Edwards' speech quite a bit. I felt like his wife's introduction was fantastic -- she can really sell him! It's too bad Teresa couldn't do the same for John Kerry, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, I was reading some articles online today and I was struck by his message of two Americas. It's a little disconcerting in some ways that the Democratic party is trying to divide America into us and them, the rich and the not-so-rich. I mean, didn't George Dubya win partially based on being a "uniter, not a divider?"

But then I read Mickey Kaus's blog. (It's under the heading Blogging!) He said:
"Edwards' speech, in contrast [to speeches defining the two Americas as "good" and "bad"], didn't ask his audience to resent or vilify or "fight" anyone except a narrowly defined class of "lobbyists" for HMOs and drug companies. There are two Americas, all right--but we're not supposed to think the rich America is evil or greedy, much less think that its riches come at our expense. Edwards' dual Americas don't stand in opposition to each other. The split is just happening, and we need to do something about it."
And this makes sense. The world is becoming more divided -- and yes, I'm getting it from the "liberal" media. But every where I look, debate in the country seems to becoming more polarized. People have stopped trying to debate the issues, they've decided to preach to the faithful. (There's an interesting article by P.J. O'Rourke in the Atlantic Online about this.) Lines for political districts are being drawn to favor one party over another. And look at the red v. blue states!

I don't know what is going to happen, but I feel like we should be doing something about it. I hope that John Kerry is able to articulate a plan of action -- make it concrete to viewers! -- and define his candidacy further. Yes, I understand that we need a commander in chief who understands the real meaning of war, but I already know that he served, nay, volunteered! to go to Vietnam. Enough already! Or at very least, tell me something new!

Well, enough political talk for one day. I can't believe it is the end of the month practically! It's crazy -- and almost August. I cannot also believe that I have written OVER 100 posts in this blog since last November. Craaaazy!

No comments: