Thursday, June 24, 2004

Here's your library related news for the day: Noah Wylie is set to star in a TNT original movie called "The Librarian". Looks to be a great time -- but who will the female martial artist be?

Apparently my love for Van Johnson has spread -- Shayna called me on Tuesday night to tell me about a Van Johnson movie showing Wednesday morning and should she tape it for me? So now I've got Invitation to watch. And Tom has offered to loan me his copy of Two Girls and a Sailor with June Allyson (who played a librarian in Good News) and Gloria DeHaven (the bitchy younger sister from Summer Stock). It should prove to be a good time.

It's already Thursday, and I'm trying to figure out my plans for the weekend. I'm going hiking with the young adult group from church on Sunday night -- I'm skipping going to see the latest Harry Potter movie with work people, mostly to save the money of seeing a movie I'm not that interested in to begin with. And Friday night it looks like I'll be going out after work (at least for a little while) with lots of librarians to the Power Plant Live! There's a really good drink special -- $10 will get you unlimited non-label drinks and drafts from 5-10 pm, but I don't think I'll be staying long enough to make the $10 worth spending. And if I did manage to make it worth while, I would probably be falling over drunk. Not the image I need to project. I suppose I should spend Saturday cleaning and getting ready to leave for vacation. But we'll see... Oh, and I have to make it to David's Bridal on Saturday to try on bridesmaid dresses. That should be a good time.

I noticed that Blogger is offering free Audioblogging -- I might have to sign up. (But with Google down for now, it might have to wait.) I'm planning to reactivate my cell phone (with a Baltimore number) so I can be prepared for possible problems at the airport. But then I could Audioblog while on vacation -- wouldn't that be fun? And since I'm going to be doing a lot of driving, I can entertain myself by blogging while driving to the Twin Cities and back. Well, unless I get caught by a state trooper. That would be no fun. We'll see what kind of mischief I can get into while I'm away...and I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

I've been working on Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives and I think it is excellent. I keep meaning to write an entry analyzing how the book has made me think -- because it definitely has. But it seems somewhat easier to go on about how lame AOL is and what my weekend plans are. In the future!

I got a new book today -- yes, I keep checking out books and then not finishing them, but this one sounded interesting. It's Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland, and if you couldn't guess, it's a biography of Judy Garland. I think it sounds interesting, and I've only read one biography of her -- and that was years ago. Plus she had a pretty interesting life -- grew up at MGM with all the stars in heaven -- and lots of downfalls too.

Which leads into the AFI's 100 Years, 100 Songs list. Judy's at the top of the list with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." It's a pretty good list -- I know looking at the song titles definitely brings to mind (in most cases) the movie or even the specific scene. With one glaring exception -- number 77 - "The Shadow of Your Smile" from The Sandpiper. This song title brings no song to mind, and the movie title brings no movie to my mind either. All the other entries, I can think of at least the song, if not the movie! Well, after checking the IMDb, The Sandpiper looks pretty racy! Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (probably one of their lesser known movies together) are Episcopal priest (Burton) and the woman who seduces him. A married Episcopal priest at that! Well, if I see it on TV I wouldn't flip past it, but I don't think I'll be seeking it out, "The Shadow of Your Smile" or not.

No comments: