Tuesday, April 06, 2004

What's new?

Not a whole heck of a lot. Although, I did add comments to the blog. So I can see if anyone actually reads this puppy. Not that I expect anyone does -- I haven't advertised it at all. And I'm sure the only link to this is from my sister's blog. But eventually....I'll have a readership of thousands! Would you believe hundreds? How about a couple of blind grandmas?

All kidding aside, the comments were really easy to add. And I'm sure no one will use them, so why not?

I'm at work for another two and a half hours, and there is no one in the department. So I don't feel bad about updating my blog. I should be working on my Maryland and World War II presentation that I have to put together by June 1 -- but eh? I don't feel like it right now. I've got a book to look at, and I will get around to eventually -- probably tomorrow. But right now -- it's perfect slacker time.

Anyway, I've been doing some thinking about my future. I really like being a librarian. I like helping people find the information that they are looking for. That is what makes me happy with my job and helps me look beyond the subject matter. But I don't really like Baltimore. I don't even really like the library that much. So I think it is a good idea that I look for employment elsewhere. At a university, which has always been my ideal job.

I still have thoughts about going back to graduate school. I want to get an MA in English literature. I don't know that I want to be a professor, but I think I would like to see if I can. I'm just not sure that I'm good enough at the literary game to be an English professor. I just checked out a new book -- After Theory by Terry Eagleton. I think reading it might help me decide whether or not I am really serious about going back. And I might have to re-read The Rise and Fall of English by Robert Scholes. I read that for my capstone class during my senior year. I think it might be a good idea to really look at the more nitty-gritty bits of English and then decide if I want to quit my job to go back to studying that kind of stuff full time. That and the fact that I often question whether or not I am good enough to be a professor. I always felt kind of insecure about my skills with theory and everything. My paper writing abilities. Am I good enough to get an MA? I would like to think so, but if I do, what next? Do I go back to being a librarian, or do I go on for a Ph.D? Am I competitive enough to get a job as a professor? I would like to think so, but can I create the output that would make a college want to hire me?

So many questions, and I don't have any answers. I just heard back from one of my old English professors from college yesterday, and I am trying to decide if I should ask him some of these questions. I don't know that he would have any more answers than I do. I feel like these are things that I should be able to answer myself... Or maybe I just need to call up my friend who is in graduate school -- for creative writing, but doing the English route anyway.

Crimeny, I've got a lot of questions. Sometime I'm going to have to sit down and figure out the answers.

No comments: