Monday, April 19, 2004

I'm reading a new book today -- a librarian friend gave it to me. It's Song of Years by Bess Streeter Aldrich. I'm not too far into it yet -- maybe three or four chapters, but it's already got me thinking. I got into this huge Laura Ingalls Wilder kick last year -- mostly due to Constructing the Little House. I was seriously thinking about going to graduate school for children's literature. But while I was obsessed by her novels, I also read her daughter's novels. Rose Wilder Lane wrote stories incredibly similar to her mother's story -- and trust me, I've read them all. (I could go off on a tangent about whether or not she was co-opting her mother's stories in order to become a writer, but I won't. And most people would think of Laura Ingalls Wilder before thinking of Rose Wilder Lane.) But after I started reading Song of Years, I wondered about how people during the 1930s were harkening back to the days of pioneer glory. And now it seems as though we went through a period of WWII idolization. Perhaps it is because they are starting to die off, just as the pioneers must have been in the 1930s. It's just an interesting concept....perhaps I still have the spark of interest that would allow me to go back and finish an MA in English?

What else is new around here?

Oh, I am dog sitting this week! For Nixon/Nick. He's a cute Belgian shepherd. I'm going to be enjoying staying over at someone else's house -- we go to the same church and rang bells together -- and eating their food and watching their cable. I'm only bummed that TCM is not showing any good movies while I will be there. Darn. Although, if she has a VCR, I might go Harold Lloyd crazy and tape several movies during the day on Wednesday. I haven't seen too many of his films -- I'm all about Keaton -- and I feel as though I should rectify that. And I'm going to do laundry. Yup, I'm even planning on washing my rugs. My parents are coming on next Monday and I have already started cleaning. The apartment will be very tidy by the time they get here -- even though I have to work the entire weekend before they come! I will definitely be busy on Friday mopping and vaccuuming and putting away the clothes that I have strewn around my bedroom floor.

No comments: