Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Listening to: Law and Order: SVU from the other room

Reading: Martha Stewart's webpage, desperately trying to find Christmas cookie decorating tips

I have come to a conclusion. I became a librarian not only because I like books, but because I like to help people. Seriously. That has got to be the only reason why I can manage to get through the day. I am not really set on fire by researching Maryland history, law, genealogy etc. Maybe in Wisconsin I could be a little bit more enthusiastic, but seriously, it's not really my area of interest. But yet I manage to get through the day doing my job and actually being interested in it. Perhaps it's because I like to learn.

Actually, I have a pretty darn good story that I have used in interviews on why I decided to become a librarian.

I was a freshman in college, and I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I came back to school early after Winterim, and had brought with me a stack of old Time magazines to read. I managed to read one article about school libraries and the fact that parents were having to take over the librarian's duties due to budget cuts. The article detailed the parent's shock at the amount of stuff the librarian had to do -- especially when it came to selection. Now, since I had worked as a page for three years, I thought to myself, 'Doesn't everybody know this stuff?' (Ah, my youthful arogance) The school I went to offered a minor in library science and media, and I immediately changed to an English major with a library science and media minor.

So, basically since I was 18 I have known that I wanted to be a librarian. I have taken multiple versions of the same classes at both the undergraduate and graduate level. And, surprisingly, some of the more informative classes came at the undergraduate level!

And so ends my story of how I became a librarian. Hee!

No comments: