Saturday, June 12, 2004

I read an interesting column in the Sun today. It's all about how his refrigerator is a message center -- and despite the fact that stylists such as Martha Stewart want people to stop using their fridge for messages, it can still be a useful place for leaving messages and communicating with your family. My family never used the fridge for leaving messages. The most we ever used it for was to display Christmas photographs and emergency contacts for when my parents were out of town. But it is definitely not a designer fridge -- one side of it is totally covered in magnets from our travels. My Dad is the one who started collecting magnets -- I think it started back when we went to Florida to Clearwater, Disney World, and Universal Studios. At least, that was the first time that I remember anyone picking up magnets intentionally. And now it has escalated to having an entire side of the fridge covered with magnets from our various travels.

My family is pretty well traveled -- for family trips, we've gone to Florida, Alaska, around Lake Michigan, England to visit me, and out to Ohio. And my sister and I have traveled a lot -- England several times and Jenny has even made it to parts of Europe. And magnets are a great souvenir -- they are generally pretty cheap and small, making them easy to buy and transport. Plus it's a way of being able to look back at all the places you've been to -- and some that you've haven't been. Much easier to keep up than postcards or other knicknacky things.

I also saw a very funny editorial in the NY Times this morning. Who was the greatest president in the 20th Century? I don't feel as though I have enough historical political knowledge to venture an informed opinion on this subject, but if I did, I would want to write it like this article. I remember the days when I was still in school -- pre-college -- when I would write scripts for videos. Ah, Eyes on the Colonies was probably my best work. It was for history class in eighth grade -- I even came up with the title for the show, based off of CBS's Eyes on America show. I was one of the writers for the Revolutionary war program, and I got the Boston Tea Party as my subject. I wrote a hilarious piece including an interview with the British King and how upset he was not to be invited to the Boston Tea Party. Sigh. My comedy was not appreciated, and the actors didn't seem to get it. All the other writers were more serious, but I wanted to be funny. Throughout high school, I wrote a couple other videos -- the best being Adolpha Live freshman year, which was a talk show. I think I still have the rough tape at home somewhere. Ah, Tami, Erica, Josh Bonus and I all got to act together. And I had a terrific crush on Josh...and then he moved away. Sigh. But then sophomore year, I wrote a couple of pieces for history class -- a radio show set in the 1920s which didn't get recorded very successfully and a take off on Forrest Gump -- which was very popular back then -- called Forretta Gump. Yeah, I wasn't too clever, but if we had managed to do it right, it probably would have been better. Oh well, I got to be Forretta's mother and spout off stuff about how life was like a box of cigars. I can't even remember how I finished that line.

Oh well, wasn't that a great trip down memory lane? Only five more years and I'll have a class reunion to go to!

No comments: